Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reference M.G.L. Chap. 140, Sec. 151
Function of Department:
- To enforce and/or act upon, all State and local laws pertaining to the keeping or restraining of dogs and cats in Kingston. We also Manage and maintain the Animal Shelter.
- Rabies and License Clinic
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I come down today and go home with an animal?
Animals available for adoption are shown on Saturdays from 9- 12 noon, no appointment necessary. You can also view adoptable animals from our shelter on-line at www.petfinder.com (in the location box key enter zip code 02364)
- Why do I have to license my dog?
Massachusetts State Law requires all dogs age 6 months or over to be licensed annually... by the Town Clerk. The licensing period in Kingston is from January 1st - March 15th. Dogs licensed after March 15th are subject to late fees.
* Animal Control is in the process of issuing $50 fines (per dog) for failure to license.
Any dog taken into custody by Animal Control will not be released to owner or keeper without proof of a current rabies certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian and proof of a current dog license.
- Where can I get help with a wildlife problem?
The State Department of Fish & Wildlife. This agency is the governing authority for all wildlife in Massachusetts. It provides general information regarding all wildlife and licenses "Problem Animal Control Agents" who are trained, certified professionals to handle nuisance animal complaints. Payment for the services of PAC agents is the responsibility of the property owner requesting their assistance. Generally, Animal Control does not handle wildlife.